-Cusco Endlinks
-Superpro Steering rack bushings
-rallitek auto trans bushing

Brakes
-Hawk HPS pads all around
Some pictures

Gotta love this "fix" for a blown turbo

electrical tape eh? Sure why not!

Came with the stock? intercooler although it has the wrong IM coupler on it :unamused:

You can also see the Thule fairing in the back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forester.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	7  
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

and.. here we go..

Yes that pvc couple is melted

Super fucking :unamused:

My plan is to put a new SB in, I just dont really have to cash to do it right away. I think I will pull the heads off this weekend and send them off to get checked, cleaned, decked and have new valve seals put in. Hopefully the block looks ok enough to last me a little while. Judging by the metal in the intercooler its a pretty safe bet the turbo is toast. So the next question is which turbo to put in. I have a VF23 here that is in great condition or do I just pick up a cheap TD04 and keep it stock. or????

So, obviously the car was having boost issues. After seeing the intercooler setup one would think that was the issue... Well after seeing all the metal in the intercooler I knew the turbo was dead. Well I finally yanked it today.

I look inside and say "hey what is this"

Then I dig a little deeper and pull out one more what appears to be a muffler bearing.........

wonder where all the metal came from??

Motor out!

Had to drill out the cam bolts

and.. pwned

Heads off!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ehadybe.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	6  

Last edited by Joshua; 04-20-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

Wife helped me pull and start cleaning the interior. Will take out the consul and carpet and power wash everything. Will also clean all the floor boards.

Will probably run the wideband and boost for now down where the ashtray is. Once the tune is set ill take out the wideband and put a oil pressure gauge in its place.

EDIT
example

This is where it will be mounted, not able to drop the $80 on the subtle piece so I'll just make my own for now. Extra wiring for the aem is $25 so I'll probably just pick that up so it will be easy to swap between the L and the FXT

A little side project I did today as I was hiding from the heat.

So subtle solutions has one of these but at $80, I just couldnt justify it. So $10 at Home Depot and this is what I came up with. I used a Polycarbonate sheet so that it would hopefully be stronger than plexi, I went with clear because it made it easier to trace

Glass being cut and fitted to the shifter surround.

Test fitting to make sure there are no issues (plenty of room!)

all glued (epoxy) together

sanded and ready for paint.

Painted!

Finished product, although I may put a couple more coats of paint on it.

Its not extremely convenient to see, but on a DD I dont know how much ill actually need to be looking at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
chef05b

Default Josh's FXT

Looks good so far.
chef05b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

Painting the intake manifold

All back together!

180k miles on a motor that saw little love, gotta love subarus

Picked up the heads after work today. Love this guys work, awesome for the price too. Heads cleaned and very lightly decked, 3 angle valve job, new valve seals and replaced the springs with lower mileage ones. He said he mic'd everything so if the lash was correct before it was correct now :fingerscrossed:

He also said that he could see where the valves were worn from the metal from the turbo going through them. There were little pits on the underside.

ok pics!

after a ton of shuffling it looks like 4 buckets and I should be good

shiny oil pan

Oil pan mounted along with greddy drain plug, also GrpN motor mounts

Cleaning the carbon off the pistons

Getting there! Just waiting for a couple more parts from subaru

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

ugh.. so as I was finishing up last night I realized that I hadnt connected the acvs lines on the heads... yeah... Just about everything had to come apart, so a 5pm quitting time turned into 11pm

rolled it out this morning and got it on the hoist so I could do the seals on the back of the block.

my make shift way of getting the seal in straight

Eric told me about this to get it the final way, worked perfectly

took me FOREVER to get the engine mated to the trans, there is so little extra room in this engine bay its crazy. The lower motor studs just slide by the torque converter while the front of the motor just slides by the AC. Took me and my wife over an hour just to get it in there.

This is where I am as of right now, just taking a little coffee break to post this up

Two things of note. First I am sooooo glad its only 80 out and not 100 like it was when I took this thing apart :lol:
and last, it would take me 1/2 as long to do this if I had someone to hand me tools. I swear I spend half the time just looking WHERE I PUT THE FUCKING TOOL. ha ha ha ha

Had a little scare when it first warmed up and there was a very loud knocking, Ericz came over and after some diag. turns out it just the rear of the timing belt cover touching the cam gear.

Havent taken it out yet, just didnt want any chance of getting stranded before work. Ill take her out for some fresh 93 after work

Only issue so far is the turbo is making a whining sound. It actually sounds just like this.

YouTube Video was embedded here

I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems to be very common for the VF23.
Noisy VF23 turbo
Vf23 Is This Normal - Rexnet Subaru Forums
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

So got the car aligned and the AC recharged today. While the AC was doing its thing we put the fuel pump in. WHAT a difference!!

DW200 all ready to go in. Picked it up from builtnotbought for a great price!

Up on the alignment rack, ericz working his magic

Def pulls much better than it did before, much smoother too. Will get it tuned again in the next couple days

So R&R'd the fuel filter... The dark chunks were in the container, but all that dirt was in the filter! I opened up and inspected the tank and fuel pump and it looks good (phew)

:unamused:

now the AFR's are in the 10's all the way to redline .

good to know! Next dyno day maybe ill get out there

quick video
Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

Got the JDM control arms installed today.

I ended up using the rear bushings they came with instead of the ones off the FXT. We will see when its on the rack if I need to swap them out. Also found that the front endlinks where bad, most likely the source of the clunking so currently I have them disconnected and I ordered Cusco endlinks and steering rack bushings from RallySportDirect

mmmm.. Pics!

Some comparison pics.

Comparing rear bushings

:clap:

Finally made a video of the VF23 whining, its hard to make it out, but you can really hear it when I turn off the car (about :36)

as for progress!!

Tires mounted and balanced, sway bar brackets and steering rack bushings installed!

and... VF48 purchased along with samco 90* turbo, BPV hose and intercooler coupler!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

How my day started. Everything out!!

Nice and clean in there. The turbo wasnt leaking any oil and everything looks to be intact. Phew..

Comparing TMIC's

Comparing Turbos. VF23 left, VF48 right. Note how much bigger the inlet is on the 23

Turbo in! I went and bolted the downpipe in, lower the car and about the get started on the intercooler when I notice the DP gasket sitting on the window cowl. :unamused:

Test fitting the top mount. Its TIGHT!

Night after-tune shot.

Overall impressions after the tune is that the boost is MUCH more consistant, but comes on a little later and tapers off a little before the VF23 did. The car is going pretty rich in high boost/rpm so leaning towards a boost leak. I need to build a tester tomorrow and see if I can find where it is.

Some day time pics. Here you can see that tubing around the AC lines and the new O2 sensor is installed.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Joshua

Default Josh's FXT

Radiator and Trans cooler arrived!

Got the radiator and trans cooler installed. Little hickups here and there but overall it didnt take too long. Took almost 2 gallons more then I had in there!

Old rad out, here are some comparison pics

Got the brackets all set, then removed and painted them black so they didnt stick out through the grill.

Installed!

What it looks like behind the grill (grill mod next?)

fans installed onto the radiator. They dont include any bolts for attaching them, and the ones on the car are self tapping and wont work. So make sure you have them.

Oh and DO NOT remove the nipple on the filler like they tell you to do. Just leave it on there and T into your current overflow line.
1. The plug they supply is way to long and will never work.
2. I stripped the hole (wall is only 1/8" thick aluminum) it was a mess and ill need to get it welded at some point.

Magnet on the drain plug. Not sure why? but ok.. lol I added fresh pipe tape because it came lacking.

All installed, my stock rad hoses all fit perfectly. One thing that anyone that is installing this in the future might want to do is shave down the fans around the lower radiator hose, its TIGHT and could use a little clearancing.

BTW I just picked up this funnel ($25) it rocks for filling up the coolant!!!

Clearance between the fans and accessories, good luck changing those belts lol