2019 Forester - Is My Tranmission Acting Normally? - Subaru Forester Forums
Subaru Forester Forums
subaru gift, subaru calendar     

Go Back   Subaru Forester Forums > Technical > Technical Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
2019ForesterOwner

Default 2019 Forester - Is My Tranmission Acting Normally?

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2019 Subaru Forester and noticed some quirks about the transmission that I do not recall experiencing when test driving other Foresters. The transmission has been acting this way since driving it off the lot and remains after ~2,500 miles. I'll do my best to describe the two scenarios where this behavior occurs:

1. Breaking when getting down to about 10 MPH:

When coming to a stop brakes are applied with consistent pressure and the vehicle initially slows at a smooth/constant rate. During the course of braking when it gets down to about ~10 MPH the engine kicks and suddenly accelerates, lurching forward at an increased speed. I'm not sure if its the CVT changing to a lower gear ratio or shifting into neutral but I suspect it is one of the two. I have to anticipate this acceleration/lurch and then step on the brakes harder to ensure that I stop at the intended distance from the car in front of me.

2. Coasting at about 15-20 MPH - Harshly decelerates and then accelerates/lurches forward:

When releasing the gas pedal at around 20 MPH the car will harshly decelerate and then hold at that rate for a few seconds (feels like the car is being held back by the gear ratio), then it 'releases' and harshly lurches/accelerates forward.

Neither of the scenarios described above occur when braking or coasting at higher speeds.

Other 2019 Forester owners, please let me know you are also experiencing this!
2019ForesterOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, cvt, forester, transmission