2019 Forester - Is My Tranmission Acting Normally? - Subaru Forester Forums
Subaru Forester Forums
subaru gift, subaru calendar     

Go Back   Subaru Forester Forums > Technical > Technical Topics

Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
2019ForesterOwner

Default 2019 Forester - Is My Tranmission Acting Normally?

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2019 Subaru Forester and noticed some quirks about the transmission that I do not recall experiencing when test driving other Foresters. The transmission has been acting this way since driving it off the lot and remains after ~2,500 miles. I'll do my best to describe the two scenarios where this behavior occurs:

1. Breaking when getting down to about 10 MPH:

When coming to a stop brakes are applied with consistent pressure and the vehicle initially slows at a smooth/constant rate. During the course of braking when it gets down to about ~10 MPH the engine kicks and suddenly accelerates, lurching forward at an increased speed. I'm not sure if its the CVT changing to a lower gear ratio or shifting into neutral but I suspect it is one of the two. I have to anticipate this acceleration/lurch and then step on the brakes harder to ensure that I stop at the intended distance from the car in front of me.

2. Coasting at about 15-20 MPH - Harshly decelerates and then accelerates/lurches forward:

When releasing the gas pedal at around 20 MPH the car will harshly decelerate and then hold at that rate for a few seconds (feels like the car is being held back by the gear ratio), then it 'releases' and harshly lurches/accelerates forward.

Neither of the scenarios described above occur when braking or coasting at higher speeds.

Other 2019 Forester owners, please let me know you are also experiencing this!
2019ForesterOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
[email protected]

I have two
Foresters a 2017 and a 2018 both, of course, with CVT's. I do not have the same problems that you described. I would suggest that you make your dealership aware right away. CVT's are warranted for 10 years.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
GeorgieAlmanza

i have been using Subaru Forester since 2010 and up till now i have got two Subaru Forester. The most tragic incident happens when I was driving at about 70 mph on the interstate when my 2016 Subaru Forester lurched - I could literally feel it lurch forward, then backward - and the engine died. I gave it gas, but the speedometer started to go down to 0 fairly quickly. I was in the left lane to let other cars merge onto the interstate when this happened; barely made it to the right shoulder before my car came to a stop. It did not help that I was in a pretty good thunderstorm. After that i have to make replacements of engine parts including the balances and still every thing is working perfectly fine.
GeorgieAlmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
1969nam

Default Tranny fix

Easy fix to the jerky motion of tranny. On your dash you will see icon w/ a 3/4 circle w/ arrow pointing to 11 in white. On left lower part of dash is 8 push buttons. 2nd button on lower left, just push in, the tranny icon on dash will be orange color rather than white. I am lucky, my dealership has a class for new Subby owners, that explain all the new gizmo’s with the car. See. Your service center, plus read your owners manual. I am 70 years old, always open to learning new info on my 2019 Forester Limited. My Forester was also jerky, not anymore. AUTO START/STOP WARNING LIGHT is the icon which should be a yellowish/orange when turned OFF. I turn mine off as soon as I start my car. GOOD LUCK !

Last edited by 1969nam; 04-18-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Auto start
1969nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
bcall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019ForesterOwner View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2019 Subaru Forester and noticed some quirks about the transmission that I do not recall experiencing when test driving other Foresters. The transmission has been acting this way since driving it off the lot and remains after ~2,500 miles. I'll do my best to describe the two scenarios where this behavior occurs:

1. Breaking when getting down to about 10 MPH:

When coming to a stop brakes are applied with consistent pressure and the vehicle initially slows at a smooth/constant rate. During the course of braking when it gets down to about ~10 MPH the engine kicks and suddenly accelerates, lurching forward at an increased speed. I'm not sure if its the CVT changing to a lower gear ratio or shifting into neutral but I suspect it is one of the two. I have to anticipate this acceleration/lurch and then step on the brakes harder to ensure that I stop at the intended distance from the car in front of me.

2. Coasting at about 15-20 MPH - Harshly decelerates and then accelerates/lurches forward:

When releasing the gas pedal at around 20 MPH the car will harshly decelerate and then hold at that rate for a few seconds (feels like the car is being held back by the gear ratio), then it 'releases' and harshly lurches/accelerates forward.

Neither of the scenarios described above occur when braking or coasting at higher speeds.

Other 2019 Forester owners, please let me know you are also experiencing this!

I recently purchased a 2019 Forester and have also noticed both of the behaviors you mentioned. It's good to know it's not just my car. I haven't taken it in for service to have it checked, yet.
bcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
mwvnst

Default RE: 2019 Forester Transmission - Same Experience

You have done a good of job describing these issues.
My 2019 Forester Sport has all of the same symptoms that you describe.
mwvnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #7
JohnCNA

Default 2019 Forester jerking

I have a 2019 Forester Touring. It does exactly what you describe. You get used to it after a while since although noticeable, it's not severe.

What I think is happening is, as you slow to a stop, the transmission 'downshifts' and needs to bump up the revs to match the lower 'gear'. And the system is bumping up the revs a little too high so you feel a noticeable surge for a second until the revs drop again.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to simulate 'gear shifting' with a CVT.

Last edited by JohnCNA; 08-18-2019 at 05:49 AM.
JohnCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 AM   #8
followersitaly

Find answers to your gearbox questions here: Topics include, different gearbox ... Select, Liberty, Tribeca, WRX, Impreza, Outback, Forester, WRX STI, BRZ ... Any error in identifying the correct box for your car will usually come from a failure to ... By default, power is redirected proportionately to the other two drive wheels.
by buy instagram followers cheap
followersitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 AM   #9
followersitaly

We drove the all-new 2019 Subaru Forester in the Blue Ridge ... In normal, calm driving, the new Forester behaves like a more ... The new unit simulates the shift of an automatic transmission with a torque converter by default. by followers italy
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 AM   #10
followersitaly

CR reviews the all-new 2019 Subaru Forester, finding it to be an impressive small SUV. ... Monospace Serif, Casual, Script, Small Caps. Defaults Done ... (A turbocharged engine and manual transmission are no longer being offered.) ... The CVT does lead the engine to rev out of sync with the act of stepping ...http://epicfollowers.co.uk/

Tags
2019, cvt, forester, transmission